When comedian Ricky Gervais was eight years old, he woke up every day going:
Wow! I’m alive! Yes! I’ve got to eat! I’ve got to take a clock apart to see how that works! There’s an ant! I’m going to follow that ant! Let’s go to the library! What, sausages? Oh my god, I can’t believe my luck!
We could still retain this sense of awe and wonder at life as adults — but so few of us do.
We’re too lost in circling thoughts, remembering the past or worrying about the future, to notice the many magical things going on around us.
We’re too focused on counting all the things we don’t have yet, to notice the beauty, love and abundance that is already ours.
What is your first thought upon waking in the morning?
If you’re like a lot of people, it will be one of resistance.
You don’t want to get up. You don’t feel like facing your to-do list. You don’t want to go to that meeting. You’re not exactly enthused about struggling through another tiresome day.
Your first thoughts in the morning can have a huge impact on the attitude, feelings and energy you carry around with you for the remainder of the day.
The Roman Emperor Marcus Auerlius once famously wrote: When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive — to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
Imagine how different we would feel if we were to wake up with a similar attitude; if we greeted the day with thoughts like:
Wow, what a privilege it is to be alive. I am so lucky to be here now, experiencing the wonders of life. I am blessed with fresh air, the beauty of nature, my loved ones, the ability to laugh and create and dance. I am blessed with food and shelter, an imagination and the ability to do kind acts for others. I am so grateful for today, and I am going to relish the next 24 hours.
Are you feeling inspired?
It’s not easy to train your mind out of old habits, so to give you a helping hand, here are 21 positive morning thoughts that can help get you in the right frame of mind each day. Feel free to print them and keep them by your bed.
21 positive morning thoughts:
1. Thank you for this gift of a whole new day. I am grateful.
2. How can I best serve the Universe today?
3. Amazing things happen to me every single day.
4. I am excited to see what happens today!
5. I dedicate today to love and kindness.
6. I am going to give this day my very best, so that I may rest my head with deep satisfaction tonight.
7. I have everything that I need right in this moment.
8. I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
9. I will honour myself by showing up powerfully in my life today.
10. Love, joy and peace are my natural state.
11. Today is dedicated to fun!
12. I see the world with grateful eyes, and it fills my soul.
13. I will listen to my inner voice today and allow it to guide me.
14. Life is easy. I let go and go with the flow.
15. I am here to be my own unique expression of consciousness.
16. Let me make the world a better place by shining my light today.
17. I have all the time that I need to do everything I want to do.
18. I will make time to touch base with the present moment all throughout today.
19. My life is a miracle.
20. I see the world through eyes of awe and wonder.
21. I carry peace and stillness in my heart as I go about my daily activities.
p.s. Are you tired of living on autopilot? Do you have a feeling there could be MORE to life? Are you confused about your purpose or how to actually make your goals and dreams happen? Would you love to learn how to master your mindset for more happiness and inner peace? Would you love to create a beautiful life you love? The Beautiful Life Bootcamp 6-week online course has been designed just for you! Find out more and join here today.
FREE Resource Library